Necklace Size Guide
Choosing the right length of necklace can be as important as choosing the right material or gemstone, so please use the necklace size guide below to help you pick out that perfect necklace.
Women’s Necklace Size Guide
- 16 inches (40cm) – Choker necklaces wrap around the base of the neck. These are often velvet or leather, but are also available in gold, silver and other metals.
- 17 – 18 inches (45cm) – Necklaces of this length rest at the collarbone and are ideal for wearing with shirts and high open-neck tops.
- 20 inches (50cm) – Resting below the collarbone, 20-inch necklaces suit lower tops where the chain or gemstone can still be seen.
- 22 inches (55cm) – Necklaces at this length sit at or just above the neckline and tend to suit taller people.
- 24 inches (60cm) – Twenty-four inch necklaces are often worn alone or with pendants and sit below the neckline.
- 30 inches (75cm) – These long necklaces usually sit below the chest and are often worn outside of clothes such as polo-neck jumpers.
Necklace Sizing Tip
The length of a woman’s necklace and its ‘drop’ should be consistent with her outfit and used to accentuate features.
Men’s Necklace Size Guide
- 18 inches (45cm) – For smaller neck sizes; to be worn at the base of the neck.
- 20 inches (50cm) – Worn at the collarbone and the most popular size of men’s necklace.
- 22 inches (55cm) – Another very popular size for men; it should be worn just below the collarbone.
- 24 inches (60cm) – A longer length of necklace or chain, this size is worn just above the sternum.
Men’s necklaces offer less variety in terms of size than women’s necklaces, but are available in a wide variety of materials such as gold, silver and platinum to suit every taste.
Children’s Necklace Size Guide
- 14 – 16 inches (35cm). A one-size fits all and increasingly popular these days.
Necklace Sizing Tip
Children’s necklaces should not be worn overnight or for extended periods over 24 hours.